If you’re an Etsy seller looking to grow your business, you need to have an ETSY email list.
Why? What happens if your Etsy shop gets suspended, permanently?
You’ve lost it all.
Etsy holds the customer data, not you.
By having an Etsy customer mailing list, you ensure you can start a store on another platform and still be able to contact your customers.
Etsy Email lists bring great value, but you must adhere to Etsy’s policies regarding email. Fail to do so, and your shops shut down forever.
Read on to see the right way (and the easiest way to do it).
- Non-compliance with Etsy’s email policies can result in shop closure, so it’s important to understand and adhere to the rules.
- When selecting an email service provider (ESP), choose one with a user-friendly interface that integrates smoothly with Etsy and helps you comply with laws like GDPR and CAN-SPAM.
- Craft compelling opt-in incentives such as offering a discount code, providing exclusive access to limited edition products, sharing behind-the-scenes content, and creating a sense of urgency to incentivize customers to join promptly.
- Design effective signup forms by keeping them clear and concise, highlighting the benefits of signing up, placing them on high-traffic landing pages, including an unsubscribe option, and respecting privacy laws.
Understanding Etsy’s Email Policies
Etsy’s email policies are essential for you to understand before attempting to build your subscriber list, as non-compliance can lead to severe consequences for your shop.
As an Etsy seller, it’s crucial to collect email addresses through permitted opt-in methods only.
You can’t just add customers to your list without their explicit consent.
Violations, like sending unsolicited commercial messages or engaging in unauthorized transactions, could even result in shop closure.
Etsy gets trigger-happy closing shops. Don’t give them a reason to close yours.
From a messaging perspective, Etsy is clear on what can and can’t be done:
Selecting an Email Service Provider
Choosing the right email service provider (ESP) is crucial as you’ll need a reliable tool to manage your subscribers and comply with Etsy’s strict email policies. A good ESP will assist you not just in email marketing but also in adhering to legal requirements. Here’s what to look for:
- Ease of Use: Select an ESP with a user-friendly interface to create your signup form quickly.
- Integration: Ensure it integrates smoothly with Etsy, facilitating the way you collect email addresses.
- Compliance Tools: The ESP should help you maintain compliance with laws like GDPR or CAN-SPAM.
- Opt-in Form Options: A variety of opt-in form types will give you the flexibility to engage customers effectively.
Crafting Compelling Opt-In Incentives – Ideas list
Building an email list for your ecommerce store is a crucial step in creating a relationship with your customers and encouraging repeat business.
Offering incentives can greatly boost your sign-up rate. Here are some effective incentives you might consider:
- Discounts or Coupons: Offer a one-time discount or coupon code that customers can use on their next purchase when they sign up.
- Free Shipping: Provide free shipping on the next order after signing up. This can be a powerful incentive, especially if your products are heavy or bulky.
- Exclusive Access: Give email subscribers early or exclusive access to sales, new products, or special events.
- Free Gift or Sample: Include a free gift with their next order or a sample of a new product that you want to promote.
- Loyalty Points: If you have a loyalty program, offer bonus points for signing up for the email list that they can redeem for rewards.
- Competitions and Giveaways: Enter new subscribers into a draw for a chance to win a prize, such as a gift card, a popular product, or a bundle of goods.
- Content and Resources: Offer valuable content such as ebooks, guides, or educational materials related to your products or industry as a thank you for signing up.
- Birthday or Anniversary Discounts: Ask for their birthday or anniversary date upon signup and offer a special discount or gift to celebrate their special day.
- Membership Clubs: Create an exclusive club for email subscribers with special perks like members-only products, additional discounts, or insider information.
- Personalized Recommendations: Offer to provide personalized product recommendations based on their interests and previous purchases.
- Interactive Content: Give subscribers access to interactive content such as webinars, workshops, or online courses.
- Subscription Services: If applicable, offer a discount on your subscription service for signing up to the email list.
- Bundle Deals: Provide special bundles or package deals that are only available for email subscribers.
- Flash Sales Notifications: Promise to notify them of flash sales, which can create a sense of urgency and exclusivity.
- Referral Rewards: Encourage sign-ups by offering rewards for referring friends to the email list.
Designing Effective Signup Forms
Consistently designing effective signup forms is key to converting your Etsy visitors into email subscribers. To ensure your forms are compelling and efficient, follow these guidelines:
- Keep It Simple: Use a clear and concise form. This makes it easier for potential new subscribers to join your mailing list without friction.
- Highlight Value: Clearly state the benefits of signing up, such as exclusive discounts or content, to provide an incentive.
- Optimize for Conversion: Place your email signup forms on high-traffic landing pages, ensuring maximum visibility.
- Comply with Regulations: Always include an unsubscribe option and respect privacy laws to maintain trust with your audience.
Promoting Your Email List on Etsy
Leveraging your Etsy shop’s visibility, you can effectively promote your email list by strategically placing sign-up calls to action on high-traffic pages such as your storefront and item descriptions. Here’s how:
- Shop Announcement: Utilize your shop’s announcement section to add the link to your email list, making it one of the first things visitors see.
- Product Listings: In every product description, include a brief invitation to join your Etsy email list for special offers or news.
- Shop Manager: Send personalized follow-up messages through the shop manager, inviting customers to subscribe after a purchase.
- Etsy Profile Page: Don’t forget to promote your email list on your Etsy profile page for added exposure.
Keep your messaging clear and engaging to entice visitors to join your community!
Leveraging Social Media Channels
By sharing your email list signup link on your social media profiles, you’re tapping into a powerful tool to grow your Etsy customer base.
As an Etsy seller, it’s essential to use social media channels not just for promotion, but also to build your Etsy email list. Start by including your signup link in your bio sections, posts, and even your stories.
Engage with existing customers and potential subscribers by offering incentives like discounts or sneak peeks into new products. Remember, direct outreach via Etsy conversations for email signups is off-limits, so social media becomes your go-to platform.
Collaborate with influencers to extend your reach and remember, every post is an opportunity to expand your list and connect with your audience.
Utilizing Email Lists in Marketing
Once you’ve grown your Etsy email list through social media outreach, it’s time to use it for targeted marketing campaigns that’ll boost your shop’s visibility and sales. Here’s how to maximize your email marketing:
- Segment Your List: Categorize your customers based on their purchase history and preferences to send personalized emails.
- Create Engaging Content: Share exclusive offers, new arrivals, and behind-the-scenes stories to keep your audience interested.
- Run Promotions: Use your email list to inform customers about sales, which can help mitigate the impact if your Etsy shop shuts temporarily.
- Measure and Adjust: Analyze the performance of your campaigns to refine your strategy and build your email list more effectively.
Monitoring and Analyzing Performance
After building your Etsy email list, you’ll need to keep a close eye on your campaign’s performance to understand what’s working and what isn’t. Effective monitoring and analyzing performance are crucial to ensure you’re respecting Etsy policy and data privacy while engaging your email subscribers.
|“How are my email campaigns influencing Etsy customers?”
|“The data reflects my understanding of customer preferences.”
|“I’m committed to optimizing my approach for better results.”
Use email marketing platforms like Mailchimp or AWeber to track key metrics. Assess open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates to gauge the impact of your emails.
Segment your list to deliver targeted content, and remember—every interaction is an opportunity to learn and improve your connection with your Etsy customers.
Etsy Email Lists Made Easy
EverBee Etsy Email List
To set up your Etsy Email List, go to Everbee and sign up (if you aren’t already, you should be).
On the left menu, click the Everbee Email icon.
Then follow the instructions to active Everbee email.
You then need to update your settings.
So on the top menu, click Settings and populate the following:
- Sender Name
- Reply Email Address
- Email header – (if left empty Everbee will use your shop image)
- Address for data protection reasons
- Your social profiles
Now you need to set up your messages so click on the Campaigns option in the top nav bar then click on each of the four email types in turn as shown below:
For each, you need to set up your template email.
It’s super simple, just click edit in the bottom right corner and amend your messaging to fit your brand.
If you’re struggling to come up with something to say in your emails, you can always use ChatGPT or another AI tool.
Once finished, click activate and repeat for all 4 order campaigns.
Finally, click on the Subscribers tab and then the View Subscribe Page.
Here you can see the landing page for anyone who clicks on your signup page link
Shown in the box on the top right is your email landing page link.
Make note of this as you need to add it to your socials and Etsy shop (see above for ideas).
Finally, go back to the Subscriber page and click on View Confirmation Page, (top right) and you can view and edit the confirmation page that your subscribers see when they sign up.
Now you’re set-up, make sure you enable all 4 emails and you’re done.
Now you’re equipped to build an email list that transforms your Etsy shop into a community hub.
With the right service provider, enticing incentives, and smart signup forms, you’re set to captivate and grow your audience.
I recommend using Everbee.io as it’s a great Etsy tool that can help you run a successful Etsy shop and the email functionality is second to none.
Ready, set, engage!