Looking for unique, handcrafted treasures?
Etsy is your go-to online marketplace to find one-of-a-kind items that will add character and charm to your life.
With over 96.3 million active buyers and billions of dollars in transactions, Etsy remains committed to improving its reputation as a trusted platform for artisans and vintage enthusiasts alike.
But they’ve had some bad press in recent years predominantly concerning the number of mass-produced goods on the platform trying to pass themselves off as handmade items.
So you may wonder, is Etsy safe to buy from?
Yes it is.
I’ve bought and sold on the platform for years and will continue to do so. Why?
- Etsy is a legitimate online marketplace that has been operating since 2005.
- Etsy has established itself as a trusted platform for buying handmade, vintage, and artistic items.
- Etsy has security features and safeguards in place to protect both sellers and buyers.
- Etsy has a Purchase Protection Program that covers refunds for items that didn’t arrive, were damaged in transit, or don’t match the description.
Is Etsy Legit? Safe Online Shopping?
It is and here are the reasons why:
1. Payment Processing: Etsy handles all payment transactions, ensuring that your sensitive payment information is kept safe and private. Individual sellers never see your payment details, adding an extra layer of security.
2. Established and Trusted: Etsy has been operating since 2005 and has established itself as a reputable platform for buying unique handmade and vintage items.
As Etsy is a publicly listed company things like bad press can have a significant impact on their share price. So there is more incentive for them to run a reputable safe business.
3. Purchase Protection Program: Etsy’s Purchase Protection program offers peace of mind to shoppers. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly different from its description, you are eligible for a full refund on qualifying orders. This protects you against potential fraud or misrepresentation.
4. Strong Seller Guidelines: Etsy has strict guidelines for sellers, ensuring that products are accurately described and meet quality standards. This helps to minimize the risk of receiving counterfeit or misrepresented items, enhancing the safety of your purchases.
5. Active Community Monitoring: Etsy has a dedicated team that actively monitors the platform for any suspicious or fraudulent activity. This proactive approach helps to maintain a safe and trustworthy buying environment for users.
6. Positive Customer Reviews: The vast majority of Etsy sellers are reputable and deliver high-quality products. Reading reviews from satisfied customers can help you make informed purchasing decisions and further ensure a positive shopping experience.
7. Etsy’s Secure Payments: Etsy offers secure payment options, including credit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay. This provides additional flexibility and convenience while prioritizing the security of your financial information.
8. Trusted Support Channels: In the event of any issues or concerns, Etsy provides reliable customer support. You can reach out to Etsy directly to address any problems, ensuring a prompt.
Etsy plans to invest more than $50,000,000 in Trust & Safety, growing our team that conducts manual reviews while expanding and improving the accuracy of our automated controls
How To Avoid Scams On Etsy
In today’s digital world, online marketplaces like Etsy provide a convenient platform for buyers to find unique and personalized products.
However, it’s important to stay vigilant and protect yourself from scams. Here are some tips to help you stay safe while shopping on Etsy.
1. Stick to Reputable Sellers
Look for sellers with great ratings and reviews. These testimonials can provide valuable insights into the seller’s reliability and product quality.
When making a purchase, opt for established sellers who have been active on Etsy for a considerable amount of time. This indicates their commitment to their customers. Look out for the Star Seller Badge, if a seller has this, there is more chance they are legit.
2. Use Secure Payment Methods:
Etsy has a safe and secure checkout process on its platform. It’s advisable to complete your payment through this process to ensure the security of your financial information.
Avoid making purchases outside of Etsy, as these transactions may not offer the same level of protection.
3. Look for Safety Indicators:
Before making a purchase, check for the padlock icon in your browser’s address bar. This signifies that the website is secure and your personal information is being transmitted safely.
Wondering if Etsy is legit and trustworthy? Check out the website’s safety and security features on Wikipedia for a comprehensive guide.
4. Keep Personal Information Private:
Only share your personal information when necessary for the transaction at hand. Avoid providing unnecessary details that could compromise your privacy.
Etsy’s messaging system provides a safe and secure means of communication between shops and customers. Utilize this feature to maintain privacy and avoid potential scams.
5. Stay alert for red flags:
If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Exercise caution when encountering unusually low prices or suspicious offers.
Be wary of sellers who request payment outside of Etsy’s payment process. This may indicate an attempt to scam you.
6. Etsy’s Buyer Protection:
In the rare event that you encounter a fraudulent seller, Etsy offers buyer/seller protection. If you believe you’ve been scammed, you can file a case with Etsy to resolve the situation.
7. Stay Within The System
Always make sure, no matter what a seller offers you, that you complete your purchase on Etsy and that all messages are sent using the Etsy marketplace messaging system. This ensures you remain covered by Etsy’s buyer protection and policies.
Remember, the vast majority of products and shop owners on Etsy are legitimate and trustworthy. By following these tips and staying informed, you can enjoy a safe and enjoyable shopping experience on the platform.
Etsy Protections – Details
Etsy Payment System
When making purchases on Etsy your payment information is protected by a secure system that encrypts your credit card details. Etsy has implemented a secure payment system called Etsy Payments, which ensures that your credit card information is encrypted and safeguarded during the checkout process.
This means that your sensitive financial information is kept confidential and cannot be accessed by unauthorized individuals.
Whether you choose to pay with a credit card, debit card, or through secure third-party services like PayPal, Apple Pay, or Google Pay, you can have confidence that your transaction is being processed through a secure and trustworthy platform.
You should never share your credit card information with a seller directly. Always complete your purchases through Etsy’s payment system
Buyer Protection Program
1. What is the Etsy Buyer Protection Policy?
On August 1, 2022, Etsy launched a new purchase protection program for all buying on Etsy.
This program aims to ensure that buyers have a worry-free shopping experience by offering a full refund for purchases that don’t match the item description, fail to arrive or arrive damaged.
2. How does it work?
If you encounter any issues with your purchase, such as receiving an item that doesn’t match the description or arrives damaged, you can now request a full refund through the Etsy Buyer Protection Policy.
Eligible orders up to $250 USD will be covered by Etsy if the package is lost or damaged during transit.
This policy ensures that your hard-earned money is protected, giving you peace of mind when shopping on Etsy.
3. Benefits of the Etsy Buyer Protection Policy:
Peace of Mind: With the new policy in place, you can shop on Etsy with confidence, knowing that your purchase is protected.
Refund Guarantee: If you receive an item that doesn’t match the description or arrives damaged, you can request a full refund.
Protection Against Loss or Damage: Eligible orders up to $250 USD are covered by Etsy, ensuring that you won’t have to bear the financial burden of lost or damaged packages.
Improved Customer Satisfaction: Etsy values your shopping experience and wants to ensure that you’re satisfied with every purchase. This policy showcases their commitment to customer service.
4. Etsy’s Commitment to Buyers and Sellers:
By implementing the Buyer Protection Policy, Etsy aims to foster a positive and trustworthy environment for both.
This program is based on feedback from both buyers and sellers, highlighting Etsy’s dedication to listening to its community and continuously improving its platform.
The policy ensures a fair and transparent resolution process in the event of a disagreement between buyers and sellers, promoting a harmonious marketplace.
Customer Review System
It may sound a bit strange, but the customer review system is really important on Etsy for a whole host of reasons.
Firstly it lets customers who buy items on Etsy give feedback publically on the product and or the customer service.
Shops get to show that they keep their customers happy with lots of 5-star positive reviews.
Trust me, as an Etsy seller, I hate getting anything other than 5 stars.
How does this keep you safe?
Sellers can’t delete reviews. If there is a bad review, it’s permanent (unless it’s a fake review). Other buyers and sellers can see the negative review and stay away from the shop and product. So it’s easy to know if an Etsy seller is trustworthy just by looking at their reviews.
Etsy Case System
There are several benefits for both Etsy buyers and sellers when it comes to having a case system in place:
1. Dispute resolution: A case system provides a formal process for resolving disputes between buyers and sellers. It allows both parties to present their side of the story and provides a platform for communication and negotiation.
2. Buyer protection: The case system ensures that buyers have recourse if they receive an item that is not as described, damaged, or never arrives. It provides a mechanism for requesting refunds, returns, or replacements in such situations, giving buyers peace of mind and protecting their interests.
3. Seller accountability: The case system holds sellers accountable for their actions and ensures that they fulfill their obligations. It encourages sellers to provide accurate descriptions, quality products, and good customer service. This helps maintain the overall trust and reputation of the Etsy marketplace.
4. Timely resolution: The case system sets timeframes for resolution, ensuring that issues are addressed promptly. This helps prevent prolonged disputes and allows buyers to get a resolution or refund as quickly as possible.
5. Fairness and transparency: The case system provides a fair and transparent process for both sellers and buyers. It allows for evidence submission, communication between parties, and a neutral third-party mediator (Etsy) to make a final decision based on the facts presented.
6. Confidence in the marketplace: Having a case system instills confidence in buyers and encourages them to make purchases on Etsy. It shows that there is a mechanism in place to protect their interests and resolve any issues that may arise.
When it comes to refund policies Etsy has you covered. Buyers have options for resolving issues and getting their money back. If you encounter a problem with an Etsy shop, it’s recommended to first try to resolve the issue with the seller directly. Communicate your concerns and see if a resolution can be reached.
However, if the issue can’t be resolved, you have the option to open a case with Etsy. To open a case, go to your account page, find the purchase in question, and provide the reason for opening the case along with relevant details to Etsy support. From there, Etsy will review the case and make a decision. If Etsy supports sides with you, a refund may be issued.
It’s important to monitor the status of your case throughout the process. Remember to always follow Etsy’s guidelines and policies when seeking a refund.
Conclusion – Etsy Is Safe For Etsy Sellers and Buyers
Etsy is a safe place to shop. If you make products, Etsy is a safe place to sell handmade items.
Etsy takes keeping the marketplace safe very seriously.
They are focused on ridding the platform of any scammers and ensuring that every Etsy seller is legit.
Although Etsy acknowledges there is still work to do and has increased its investment in technology and people to do so.
If Etsy wasn’t safe, it would not attract buyers and therefore it would in turn would not attract individual sellers or small businesses.
As a buyer, you can take simple steps to ensure you do not get scammed on Etsy when you purchase an item:
- If in doubt, contact the seller. Ask them any questions that would put your mind at rest.
- Check if the seller and the item have good reviews.
- Communicate and pay through Etsy not anywhere else.
- Use the Etsy case system
- Do your bit & report items that aren’t vintage or handmade and report shops that break Etsy Policies